Skip to content

Getting married in Tanzania

The information below is intended for Danish citizens wishing to get married in Tanzania.


1) Documents

If you are intending to get married in Tanzania, a certificate of no impediment from your home country is required. This document (translated in English) must state one of three things – that;

  • you were never married before
  • you are divorced (attach the relevant divorce certificate)
  • you were widowed (produce/attach the relevant document).

This certificate proves that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in your country. Other useful documents to have are Birth certificate, or personal information from registrar of population in your country. If you intend to be married in church a letter from your pastor/priest will be helpful.

2) "Notice of marriage" and application for "Special marriages license"

If you have less than 21 days required to put "a notice of intention to marry", you need to make an application for “Special Marriages Licence” from the Registrar of Marriages. An application form for “Special Marriages Licence” will be issued and dully filled and a copy of the certificate of no impediment attached to it. The form must be signed and legalised by a lawyer or an advocate. The form must then go back to the Registrar of Marriages where it will be checked, a fee will be paid and the "Special Marriage License" will be issued.

With this license the couple must report to the District Commissioner’s office, Church or Mosque (depending on the place where the marriage will take place and the person who will solemnise the marriage) to set the date of the marriage. Two witnesses selected by the couple (resident or non-resident) will have to accompany the couple on the marriage date. After the ceremony, a Tanzanian Marriage Certificate (in duplicate) will be issued.

3) Registering the marriage in Denmark

In order for the marriage to be registered in Denmark, the Marriage Certificate must be legalized and verified.

The Marriage certificate should first be legalized in:


Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Legal Department

Dar es Salaam

Tel. +255 22 211 1906



Following, the marriage must be verified by the Danish Embassy.


Ghana Avenue 1

Dar es Salaam


The consular department is open Monday-Thursday 10-12.

It is your own responsibility to register the marriage at your hometown municipality in Denmark.


Marriage in Zanzibar

Information on marriage in Zanzibar can be obtained from:



Regional Commisioner's office

Town Council

Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230246/7



High Court

Town Council

Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230182           



Requirements are:

  • Birth Certificate in English
  • Passport
  • A certificate of no impediment
  • Legalised confirmation of residence
  • Two witnesses (can be locally provided if necessary) and Marriage Certificates of Zanzibar must be certified by the Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam and other procedures given above.

In Zanzibar it is not possible to obtain a "Special Marriages License", which means that you will have to wait 21 days from you hand in the document until you are allowed to marry in Zanzibar.



You register the marriage in Denmark according to the procedure given above.