Skip to content

Getting married

Use the menu below to find out more about the legal requirements to get married in Tanzania or Mauritius.

Getting married in Tanzania

The information below is intended for Danish citizens wishing to get married in Tanzania. 


1) Documents

If you are intending to get married in Tanzania, a certificate of no impediment from your home country is required. This document (translated in English) must state one of three things – that;

  • you were never married before
  • you are divorced (attach the relevant divorce certificate)
  • you were widowed (produce/attach the relevant document).

This certificate proves that no legal impediment to the intended marriage is known to the responsible authority in your country. Other useful documents to have are Birth certificate, or personal information from registrar of population in your country. If you intend to be married in church a letter from your pastor/priest will be helpful.

2) "Notice of marriage" and application for "Special marriages license"

If you have less than 21 days required to put "a notice of intention to marry", you need to make an application for “Special Marriages Licence” from the Registrar of Marriages. An application form for “Special Marriages Licence” will be issued and dully filled and a copy of the certificate of no impediment attached to it. The form must be signed and legalised by a lawyer or an advocate. The form must then go back to the Registrar of Marriages where it will be checked, a fee will be paid and the "Special Marriage License" will be issued.

With this license the couple must report to the District Commissioner’s office, Church or Mosque (depending on the place where the marriage will take place and the person who will solemnise the marriage) to set the date of the marriage. Two witnesses selected by the couple (resident or non-resident) will have to accompany the couple on the marriage date. After the ceremony, a Tanzanian Marriage Certificate (in duplicate) will be issued.

3) Registering the marriage in Denmark

In order for the marriage to be registered in Denmark, the Marriage Certificate must be legalized and verified.

The Marriage certificate should first be legalized in:


Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Legal Department

Dar es Salaam

Tel. +255 22 211 1906

Following, the marriage must be verified by the

Danish Embassy: 

Ghana Avenue 1

Dar es Salaam

It is your own responsibility to register the marriage at your hometown municipality in Denmark.


Marriage in Zanzibar

Information on marriage in Zanzibar can be obtained from:


Regional Commisioner's office

Town Council

Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230246/7


High Court

Town Council

Vuga, Zanzibar Town

Tel: +255 024 230182           


Requirements are:

  • Birth Certificate in English
  • Passport
  • A certificate of no impediment
  • Legalised confirmation of residence
  • Two witnesses (can be locally provided if necessary) and Marriage Certificates of Zanzibar must be certified by the Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tanzania in Dar es Salaam and other procedures given above.

In Zanzibar it is not possible to obtain a "Special Marriages License", which means that you will have to wait 21 days from you hand in the document until you are allowed to marry in Zanzibar.

You register the marriage in Denmark according to the procedure given above.


Getting married in Mauritius

Below you can read about the legal requirements Danish citizens have to fulfil in order to be able to marry in Mauritius.

Photocopies of the following documents must be submitted at least 6 weeks before you are due to travel:

  • Birth certificates
  • Valid 10 year passports
  • Full names, addresses and occupations
  • If divorced, Decree Absolute (if the wife has been divorced for less than 10 months at the time of your wedding, a medical certificate to confirm that she is not pregnant must be obtained in Mauritius)
  • If widowed, Death Certificate of former spouse and previous marriage certificate
  • If your name has been changed by Deed Poll, the legal proof thereof.

Originals of all these documents must be in your possession when you leave for Mauritius.

The “Civil Status Act” states that marriages of non-residents can take place the day following publication of banns of marriage.

However, the couple must obtain a certificate issued by the Prime Minister’s Office and given to the Registrar of Civil Status Officer stating that they are not Mauritian citizens or Mauritian residents. This certificate can be obtained beforehand by sending a request to the Registrar of Civil Status, 7th Floor, Emmanuel Anquetil Building, Port Louis. (230) 201 1727, (230) 211 2420. The document must be accompanied by 2 birth certificate copies of both spouses and of their passports (first three pages), as well as any other document in cases of divorce or widowhood.

Request for a non-resident certificate must reach the Civil Status Office at least 10 days before date set for marriage. Marriage can take place in the presence of a Civil Status Officer at the Registrar of Civil Status or at the hotel.

Catholics wishing to get married in Mauritius are requested to contact the Port Louis Diocese to obtain the necessary information. (230) 208 3068, (230) 208 6607.